One of the things that I found most exciting about moving to NYC was knowing that there would be endless food options! On any day, at any time you can find something delicious to bite into. However, that does not mean that you can just pop into any restaurant that you come across. Considering the vast number, variety and $$$, I have found it extremely important to do a little research prior to trying a new restaurant in the Big Apple (nothing is more embarrassing than taking a seat at a rather lovely place to only find out that you cannot afford it..real bummer and yes, this has happen to me!).
So, I must admit…I’m “that girl” who has a running of list of places to try as I come across them while wondering around the city, but I always make sure that I have the inside scoop prior to making my first visit. Since sharing is caring, I thought it would be groovy and helpful for me to share some on my NYC Restaurant Favs!
1. Westville– Love, Love, Love Westville. I must say everything that I have tried at this place is amazing! One thing they are known for is their market sides! 4 market sides for $15. You cannot beat that and not to mention that everything is cooked to perfection. A great place to try if you’re looking for good ole comfort food in an unusual way with an extremely affordable price tag. I do not think I’ve spent more than $25 bucks there and in New York..that’s kinda of a big deal! http://www.westvillenyc.com
2. Good– As one could imagine…good is GOOD! My absolute favorite brunch location in all of New York City! Lemon flavored pancakes with minted strawberries, spicy hasbrowns, scrambled eggs, bacon and a delightful glass of processo and peach schnapps. I mean what more could a girl ask for on a Saturday afternoon?! Nine times out of ten you will be greeted by the one and only Oscar who runs the host station and knows all of “the usuals” by name! Great location with great atmosphere. Be sure to go hungry because they give nice portions which makes the price tag completely worth it! Oh how I love Good…I think I’ll go this weekend. http://www.goodrestaurantnyc.com
3. Vynl– In the heart of Midtown, Vynl is great place to take your friends to who are visiting NYC for the first time! Personally, I think Vynl’s decor and atmosphere is the epitome of what people think of when they imagine a restaurant in New York City! Vynl is an Asian-American fusion cafe that has a fun menu along with a very special surprise in each restroom…and that’s all that I can say! You must go and check it out for yourself. http://www.vynl-nyc.com
4. Southern Hospitality– Who doesn’t love Justin Timberlake?!? Well, if you don’t I am pretty sure you would still love his restaurant, Southern Hospitality, located on 45th Street and 9th Ave. I would venture to say if you’re not from New York and don’t particularly care for “swank” dining, yet have no desire to eat at a chain then this is the place for YOU! The menu is primarily Memphis style BBQ. The prices are a couple of bucks higher than your typically Applebee’s or TGIF’s, however the menu is NO COMPARISON. I encourage you try either the BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad or the Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese….sooooo yummy. Or for an appetizer try the Jalapeño Macaroni & Cheese Spring Rolls. No words can describe for how stinking good they are. http://southernhospitalitybbq.com/hk/
5. Eatery NYC-Looking for upscale but with an affordable price tag and friendly waiters? This is your place! While I have a had a few dinners at the Eatery, I think it is an exceptional location for drinks, desserts and conversation! Also, located in Midtown the Eatery offers flavorful sorbets and cheesecakes! Need I say more? You just need to go. The atmosphere is perfect. http://www.eaterynyc.com
6. Jane– Now if you are in the mood for the ultimate dining experience, then you should take a trip down to Greenwich village to have an evening at Jane! Great atmosphere and spectacular food. Last time I was there I had their spaghetti with a wonderful chardonnay wine sauce topped with cherry tomatoes and arugula. Oh my goodness good! Also, their steak frites are quite yummy. Seasoned to perfection and tender. This is the perfect place for a swank yet casual date night with the boo! http://janerestaurant.com
7. The Cafeteria– OMG, OMG, OMG…I LOVE THE CAFETERIA. Have you ever heard of a floral cocktail? I hadn’t until my first dining experience at the Cafeteria and it was amazingly delightful and very floral! However, it was the delicious selection of assorted mac and cheeses, fried oreos and red velvet cake in a jar that sold me on this place! Oh yes, and the super swank restrooms. A great restaurant with lots of crazy energy and people! P.S. The buffalo chicken mac and cheese is the best ! http://www.cafeteriagroup.com
8. Shake Shack– Remember the lunch spot that Ethan and Rachel went to everyday in the movie Something Borrowed? Well, guess what? This is it…the Shake Shack! I am kinda a sucker for hamburgers, grilled hotdogs and fries, which makes the Shake Shack a favorite of mine. You can never go wrong with a shack burger and an order of fries.. Will cost you about $8.00 and it’s pretty awesome! Also, they are known for their assortment of custards although I have never tried one. Oh yes, important detail about the Shake Shack: Don’t go when you are seriously hungry. Not because the food isn’t good, but the lines are always crazy long especially at the Theater District and Madison Square Park locations. I would encourage you take a gander to the Upper Westside or Eastside locations…there’s never a long line and I mean NEVER. http://www.shakeshack.com
9. Bangkok Tasty– Well, Bangkok Tasty isn’t in Manhattan, but Astoria! For those of you who don’t know..I live in Astoria and it is the BOMB.COM. Anywho, Bangkok Tasty is a super legit Thai restaurant that makes the most amazing Thai style lo mein noodles I have ever had in my life! And here’s the best part…THEY DELIVER. So as you can imagine Bangkok Tasty takeout happens quite often for Apt 42. In addition to their awesome delivery service, they also have a great dine in option in a little space close to Ditmars Blvd off of the NQR train. Really awesome Thai food that is worth the train ride to try 🙂 http://www.bkktasty.com
And there you have it my loves…a few of my NYC restaurant favs! Do you have any suggestions you would like to share? If so, drop a comment in the box below! I would love to give them a whirl. Happy eating friends : )