As I’m sure you have heard the saying, “A party really isn’t a party without a good beverage to enjoy!” Being both the City Girl and Southern Belle that I am, I could not agree more. There is just something about an alcoholic beverage that makes a party feel more festive, more fancy and more adult like. However, over the past couple of weeks I’ve had to take step back and revaluate my thought process on having the occasional beverage…I am in a new community surrounded by new people who may not have the same thought process when it comes to consuming alcohol. While I am personally convinced that there is nothing wrong with having an alcoholic beverage if you are of legal age, it is important to be mindful of your friends and guests who would not typically partake in a festive beverage by ensuring that there are non-alcoholic beverage options available. As a host you do not want to inadvertently create a divide in your guests who are drinking alcoholic and those who are not. So in the spirit of creating a more inclusive atmosphere for your next party here are TWO NEED TO KNOW TIPS on how to offer celebratory beverages for both the drinker and non-drinker!
1. Know Your Substitutes– So you maybe thinking about one of your favorite drinks and how to make it non alcohol friendly?! Well, to my surprise it is much easier than I was anticipating. Simply know the correct substitutions for the alcohol and replace it using 1:1 ratio(s).
- Beer: Nonalcoholic Beer, White Grape Juice, Ginger Ale
- Cognac: Peach, Pear, or Apricot Nectar or Juice
- Sake: Rice Vinegar
- Tequila: Cactus Juice or Agave Nectar
- Vodka: White Grape Juice Mixed with Lime.
I would suggest that you give yourself plenty of preparation time as you may need to adjust the beverage accordingly to make it taste super yummy. Oh yes, if your drink recipe requires any fruit, be sure to cut it the night before and soak it in Sprite, 7 Up or any type of lemon lime soda. This little trick will make the fruit even sweeter!
2. Make It Jazzy– While this is sad to admit, but I am a sucker for a beverage that is all dressed up with garnish and has a cute name! And I know that I am not the only one who feels this way. LOL. When serving non-alcoholic beverages make it jazzy! Give it a cute name so it sounds way more interesting than really is! Also, do not be afraid to add unusual garnishes as it makes the drink even more appealing. Remember, people enjoy festive beverages because it creates atmosphere! Here are a few different ways you can dress up your drink:
Chocolate and Sprinkles
And there you have it my friends…two easy tricks that can help you have the most rocking soiree with the best beverages! Jason and I are having a house warming party very soon and I am excited to give these tips a whirl myself. I am going to attempt to make a non-alcoholic version of the ever famous Raspberry Beer Cocktail! Fingers crossed : )